But such is the life of mass production.
So are you just dying to know where you can get really quirky, unique pieces for dimes? (Warning: it’s a bit of work.)
Thrift stores are the best places to find really cool pieces for great prices (literally for cents at times!) and you can find truly unique pieces that you won’t find in your run-of-the-mill shopping mall. While you will find your fair share of Mossimo jeans and forever21 tops, you’re also sure to score some high-end brands for ridiculously cheap and hardly worn.
Now maybe you’ve tried thrifting and you’re thinking right now that I’m crazy because all you found was gross, dusty garbage but no! You’re just at the wrong place.
- Familiarize yourself with the areas around the store. Why? Because (as a general rule) where there are wealthy people there are wealthy people’s old clothes. Where there are stylish people there are stylish people’s clothes. Go into a rich area and think “where would I take these to get rid of them?” and then proceed to scope out the thrift shops in that vicinity. Et voila!
- Don’t buy it because it’s cheap. Uh…look around. It’s all cheap! Buy only the things you love and can get a ton of use out of.
- Don’t be deceived by good fit. Just because something “fits you like a glove” does not mean you need to own it. Seriously ask yourself if you will ever wear this (other than cleaning the house in) more than once.
- Do a thorough inspection. Check for pills and holes and worn areas in the fabric as well as uneven hems and bad sewing.
- Don’t be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone. The great thing about thrift finds is that they are cheap so if you take a risk and it ends up not being a great one, you’re not losing much.
- Go with friends. Thrifting alone may work for some but for most it can be a tad overwhelming. Making a “thrift day” with friends is a great way to make shopping through racks of ugly to find the gold a lot more enjoyable. Plus, they can save you from making bad choices.
Side note: Thanks for everyone who has continued to visit even though I’ve been awol for the last few weeks. My life has been seriously nonstop lately and I have not had any time to even log on to my computer. Technically I should be ridiculously busy today as well but I’m taking the day off to recuperate. Life caught up with me and knocked me on my butt. But ay, cest la vie. I’ve got another post I’ve (mostly) finished and will be posting up soon. I’m going to finish it today and schedule it to automatically post so you don’t have to worry about me keeping my word on this one. (Also, I know I normally do ‘Friday Faves’ on Fridays but since I’m a bit behind I hope you enjoy the article today.)